R&D Strategies identify sources of innovation and prioritize opportunities through robust technical, clinical, regulatory, and commercial analysis.
- Early Stage Innovation Sourcing
- Therapeutic Area Strategy
- Clinical Development Strategy
- Portfolio Management
Early-stage Innovation Sourcing
Evaluate approaches for sourcing innovative technology, including the role of academia.
Read about how we helped a large Pharma/Biotech client:
- Pharma client sought to evaluate more productive approaches to accessing early-stage technology
- Held in-depth discussions with leading academic institutions, investigators and VCs to identify key challenges and opportunities for pharma
- Benchmarked approaches of other pharma for engaging the academic community
- Developed roadmap of initiatives to drive collaboration with academia and access to IP
- Detailed implementation plan for integration of client resources and transitioning this model into the organization
- Integrated strategy for the client to engage with VCs, academia, and innovative biotech companies
- Framework for incorporating this novel approach into traditional pharma R&D organizational structure
Determine technology white spaces that could synergistically improve a franchise's top line growth.
Read about how we helped a large Medtech/Diagnostic client:
- Global medical technology company with a $1B+ cardiac surgical presence required additional high margin revenue generators as its business changed from surgery to catheter based interventions
- Via the lens of the cardiac surgical patient journey, analyzed the constellation of peri-operative unmet needs that could improve patient outcomes and physician performance
- Considered devices and services across the spectrum of patient needs in order to reflect holistic changes in cardiac care and ability to achieve market dominance
- Identified a range of white spaces and evaluated the rationale behind the technology and its proposed role in patient care
- Enabled client to look beyond cardiac surgical devices into opportunities such as diagnostic testing/monitoring, IT-based decision and patient support, and convergent drug delivery technologies
Portfolio Management & Rationalization
Evaluate and prioritize programs to determine their growth potential and strategic relevance.
Read about how we helped a small Pharma/Biotech client:
- Emerging biotech focused on small molecule therapies in Oncology/Autoimmune needed to assess the strategic options for four key assets and determine the optimal path for their development and commercialization
- Analyze each program's potential role in the treatment paradigm and understand the product's positioning and commercial potential
- Understand the deal landscape and determine the optimal timing for a partnering/exit to maximize return and provide the greatest likelihood of finding an appropriate partner
- Prioritize programs based on expected return on investment
- Defined expectations for deal metrics by stage of development, partner characteristics, and deal structure
- Provided clear understanding of the relative strategic value of each program, resulting in reprioritization of client's pipeline